Sunday, March 11, 2007

death is permanent seperation

Friday
As per the last few days, I went home for dinner, planning to bring my parents to the hospital. Just when I was finishing my dinner, Da Yi called. So I told my mom we had to leave immediately. Mom started crying.
I went to park the car and was later in reaching the hospital than my parents whom i dropped off. When I arrived at the ward, mom was already crying. She told me aunt has passed on. I couldn't quite believe it. Something told me aunt couldn't have just passed on without me being there. I hung around in a state of disbelief until the nurse who went in attached a heart beat monitor to aunt’s heart and came out pronouncing that my aunt’s heart is still beating, only she has ceased to breathe.
Immediately, we filed into the room. Aunt’s body is frozen, she looked like the last thing she did was trying to fight for breath. We looked at her silently while her heart went tick tick tick.
My dad told my cousins to get her to pass on so the family took turns to ask her to let go, with uncle in law assuring her multiple times that he will take care of the children.
After 40 mins of heart beating without a single breath, aunt decided to leave us after uncle in law shouted loudly that he will take care of the children.
More family members start to arrive, but they were too late. Aunt is gone. Uncle in law’s heart started beating too fast and he collapsed to A&E.
All the cousins and uncles and aunts started to help my cousin with the preparations for aunt’s final passage. Phone calls, choices were made. The wake starts the next day, Saturday.

Everybody commented on how considerate my aunt was, and still is, even on topic of her death. She picked a Friday night, so that we don't have to work/take leave for the preparation and for the wake.

Saturday

AM, I reached home at 1am after sending my 4 aunt-in-law home to Tampines. I sat down in front of the TV. Mind in numbing disbelief. At 3 I went to bed, still in numbing disbelief. I stared at the ceiling till 7 in the morning, dozing off once or twice slightly to dream of other members in the extended family dying.
I reached aunt’s house at 9am and chanced upon a diary which she left on the living room table. I sought my cousin’s permission to read it and he said ok. Reading it, my tears started to drop and the heaviness in heart finally was released.
In the diary starting Jan 07, aunt recorded how she had combated with cancer for the past 15 years. She also had one passage where she said that the treatment was too painful and she wanted to just give up and die.
2pm, the coffin was delivered to the temporary tent set up downstairs. Aunt looks peacefully asleep, although she’s much wrinklier that I remembered. Aunt was a real beauty when she was young (I’m not saying this because she’s my aunt) and she had the very wen rou look. We brought out one of her younger days picture to show the family members who arrived.
Day passed without much event. Kevin, Clifford and I helped with the cash collection.
That night, I slept well.

Sunday
The same happened. I helped with cash, sent 4 uncle back to tampines. Meow is back. I slept well.
Monday (Today)
This is the last day I will see my aunt as I’m flying off to Melbourne tonight. I will take one last look at her and remember her as how I’ve seen her the past 28 years. Bye bye aunt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home